WARNING: This is the _old_ Lustre wiki, and it is in the process of being retired. The information found here is all likely to be out of date. Please search the new wiki for more up to date information.
Lustre Center of Excellence at Oak Ridge National Laboratory
The Sun Lustre Center of Excellence (LCE) at ORNL advances the state of Lustre for use in large scale HPC environments. As you'll see from the projects below, the ORNL LCE focuses on both systems and applications aspects of ensuring that Lustre meets the needs of DOE and the HPC community in general.
Current projects and their status
Applications IO Performance
Implementing Applications in a Lustre Environment contains information on achieving high performance applications IO with the Lustre file system.
The LCE sponsors events to encourage HPC community involvement in analyzing IO and storage requirements and identifying ways for Lustre to address these requirements.
LCE Summit - February 2008
LCE Application I/O Workshop - April 16, 2008
- Application IO Workshop, Agenda and Notes
- Lustre and Application IO - Wang Di's Slides
- Lustre and Application IO - Oleg Drokin's Slides
Lustre Scalability Workshop - Feb 10 & 11, 2009, ORNL
- Scalability Workshop Notes
- Scalability White Paper
- Galen Shipman's presentation
- Eric Barton's presentation
Lustre Scalability Workshop - May 19 & 20, 2009, ORNL
The May Lustre Scalability Workshop at ORNL was focused on long term (2015) HPC IO and storage requirements and on presentations on the IO objectives of the DOD HPCS program and how Lustre will achieve them.
- Lustre Scalability Workshop, Initial Gap Response - John Dawson
- HPCS IO - John Carrier
- What is HPCS and How Does it Impact IO - Henry Newman
- 2015 Parallel File System Requirements - Galen Shipman
- Lustre HPCS Design Overview - Andreas Dilger
Scalability Workshop Follow up
- Scalability Gap Response dated October 2009 is the final version of Sun's response to the scalability gaps identified and discussed during the LCE Scalability Workshops in February and May of 2009.
LCE personnel have written a variety of papers on High Performance IO and potential Lustre features. Links to these documents are below.
- Scalability Improvements
- Lustre ADIO Driver Enhancements Whitepaper
- FMS Application IO Analysis
See the ORNL slides and video from their presentation at LUG 2009.
Lustre Internals Manual
LCE and ORNL have written a Lustre filesystem internals document the describes the internal operation of Lustre.
Archives of Older Material
This material may be out of date, and is preserved here for archive purposes.
For more information about computing at Oak Ridge, click here.
If you have questions or comments on this page or the LCE projects, contact John Dawson.