WARNING: This is the _old_ Lustre wiki, and it is in the process of being retired. The information found here is all likely to be out of date. Please search the new wiki for more up to date information.
Installing Lustre from Downloaded RPMs
This procedure describes how to install Lustre from the RPM packages.
[[Note – In all Lustre installations, the server kernel that runs on an MDS, MGS or OSS must be patched. Running a patched kernel on a Lustre client is optional. It is only required on a client if the client will be used for multiple purposes, such as running as both a client and an OST.]]
Caution: Lustre contains kernel modifications that interact with storage devices and may introduce security issues and data loss if not installed, configured or administered properly. Before installing Lustre, back up ALL data.
1. Verify that all of the Lustre installation requirements have been met. For more information on these prerequisites, see Preparing to Install Lustre.
2. Download the Lustre RPMs.
- a. On the Lustre download site, select your platform to list the files required to install Lustre (kernels, modules and utilities RPMs).
- b. Download the required files. Use the Sun Download Manager (SDM) or download the files individually.
- Caution: For a non-production Lustre environment or for testing, a Lustre client and server can run on the same machine. However, for best performance in a production environment, Lustre must be installed on dedicated systems. Performance and other issues can occur when an MDS or OSS and a client are running on the same machine. The MDS and MGS can run on the same machine.
3. Install the Lustre packages. Some Lustre packages are installed on servers (MDS and OSSs), and others are installed on Lustre clients. Lustre packages must be installed in a specific order.
- a. For each Lustre package, determine if it needs to be installed on servers
and/or clients. See Lustre Packages to determine where to install a specific package. Depending on your platform, not all of the listed files need to be installed. TABLE 2-1 Lustre packages, descriptions and installation guidance