A number of different documents are available to support the Lustre user community. The Lustre Operations Manual provides comprehensive information about the Lustre product and is updated frequently.
High-level designs (HLDs) and detailed-level designs (DLDs) for Lustre are available, as are Lustre Internals, describing complex, internal topics. For these documents, see Additional Resources, below.
In the spirit of the open-source community, the Lustre Group is committed to making Lustre 'more open', including its documentation. Look for more Lustre documents to be made available in the near future.
The Lustre Manual is the primary source of documentation about the Lustre product.
The manual provides Lustre installation, configuration, tuning, monitoring and troubleshooting. Different versions of the Operations Manual support different versions of Lustre software.
For your convenience, links to the current version (v1.15) of the Lustre Operations Manual (available in both HTML and PDF) are provided below.
Lustre Manual version 1.15
(Released November 21, 2008)
- Lustre Manual (HTML) - Lustre 1.6 Operations Manual v1.15
- Lustre Manual (PDF) - Lustre 1.6 Operations Manual v1.15
- Lustre Manual Version Log - Lustre 1.6 manual version log (describes additions and updates to the Lustre 1.6 manual)
- Lustre Manual (HTML) Lustre 1.4.8 manual v1.37
- Lustre Manual (PDF) Lustre 1.4.8 manual v1.37 (A4)
- Lustre Manual Change Log Lustre 1.4.8 manual change log (describes additions and changes to the Lustre 1.4.8 manual)
Lustre HLDs - Lustre High-Level Designs (HLDs) are now available to the public and downloadable as PDFs or in their original LyX format.
Lustre DLDs - Lustre High-Level Designs (DLDs) are now available to the public and downloadable as PDFs or in their original LyX format.
Lustre Internals - Lustre internals are now available to the public as PDFs. Historically, Lustre internals have been presented as part of the Lustre Advanced (L2) training class.
Interim Lustre 1.8 Documentation
- KerbLustre - The 1.8 interim Lustre documentation (Kerberos....)
This documentation will be incorporated into the manual. Until that is done you may find useful bits and pieces here.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Knowledge Base
- Lustre Knowledge Base - questions and answers
- LustreHowto - A guide to getting Lustre cluster started.
- LustreLDAP - A guide for using LDAP with Lustre.
- LustreWizard - The Lustre wizard or lwizard is a utility that helps with creation of configuration file for a cluster through asking some simple questions.
- LustreFailover - Managing failover
- FilesystemBackup - How to back up a Lustre filesystem
- FsckSupport - The lustre fsck tool and Lustre-patched e2fsck (extents, large inode/EA support)
- Filesystem Tuning
- LustreProc - A guide on the proc tunables parameters for Lustre and their usage. It describes several of the proc tunables including those that effect the client's RPC behaviour and prepare for a substantial reorganization of proc entries.
- LustreDdnTuning - A brief guide on tuning DDN S2A 8500 (and maybe 9500) storage optimally for Lustre